The routine I recommend is ideal for a beginner. So if you are an experienced athlete or are still new to running or just interested in running, you can easily incorporate this routine.
One of the main benefits of following a set routine before bed is the time. It allows your body to rest and relax at night.
This allows you to get the most out of your hard work throughout the day. By setting a routine, you can run all you need throughout the day without feeling exhausted in the evening.
So, let’s get to it:
1. Before you go to bed, cleanse your skin
The most important step of your routine is before you go to sleep. This step will prepare your skin for the night ahead.
By taking off your day’s dirt, you can enjoy a clean and ready-to-sleep face.
Tip: Rub a few drops of lavender oil on your palms and gently wipe your face with it. Let the oil sink in for a few seconds.
2. Shower and get into comfortable sleepwear
After getting clean and refreshed, you can start relaxing your mind and body. Showering is an important part of your routine.
It leaves your skin fresh and cleansed. So, this step is mandatory.
Wearing comfortable sleepwear will allow your mind to relax as well. Your body and mind will be kept in a relaxed state for the rest of the night.
This will help you fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
3. Eat your pre-bed snack and follow it with your bath
During your morning runs, you need to have at least 2-3 bananas in your pocket.
Breading a banana with some peanut butter will also be a great choice. After your banana, you can eat a small meal.
If you are not into peanut butter, you can have a glass of milk.
4. Make it a point to drink water throughout the day
No, you cannot finish your water if it is right after you wake up. Water is your fuel for your body. You cannot go for a marathon without it.
Consume your water throughout the day and you will be able to gain all the benefits of it.
During your day, if you drink water, you will be able to avoid your mid-day snack. This will prevent you from snacking and will prevent you from gaining weight.
After you are ready for bed, you need to start prepping your body for sleep. Make sure that you are dressed appropriately before going to bed.
Invest in sleepwear that is comfortable and will allow you to fall asleep comfortably.
Your sleepwear should cover your hips, knees, and feet. This will ensure that you sleep on your back.
But do not worry about the back of your neck because you can sleep on your side with or without a pillow.
6. Relax your body and mind
As I have mentioned earlier, rest is one key factor in your sleep routine. The best way to start is by taking a few deep breaths.
Take a few minutes of deep breathing to calm your mind and body.
Do not let anxiety or stress affect you. When you calm your mind and body, your body will automatically drift off to sleep.
Just be sure to keep quiet as well.
7. Complete a ten-minute meditation.
You can achieve your pre-sleep meditation in minutes. Just go to a quiet place with a few thoughts in your mind.
If you have not yet practiced meditation, start by tuning into your breathing. Observe the rise and fall of your belly.
Then start focusing on your breathing. You can choose from four options:
- Slow Breathing
- No Breathing
- Fast Breathing
Observe the rising and falling of your belly. Do not focus on anything else.
8. Complete a ten-minute relaxation routine
Once you are happy with your breathing, it is time to do your relaxation routine.
Start by lying down on the bed, put the head of your bed up, and cover your body with a blanket.
You can either make yourself comfortable or close your eyes.
9. Relax yourself using the green and white technique
This is one of the most common relaxation techniques used in most situations. You should start with the following steps:
- Choose the side of the body that feels comfortable to you
- While moving your head around, make sure that you can observe everything around you
- When you move your head around you feel relaxed. The more you are relaxed the more you can think
- Use the green and white technique (see below) to soothe you. If you are not familiar with this technique, it is the easiest way to make yourself comfortable and focus on nothing but your breathing.
- Feel your abdomen vibrating in rhythm with the breathing. The vibrations feel like bubbles.
- By stimulating your body, you are forcing your brain to relax.
- It is always important to rest.
Your sleep and rest time are a vital part of your daily routine.
If you do not have them, you cannot achieve what you want in life. Sleep is often thought to be a luxury, but it is more than that.
Don’t you think you can do with a few minutes of meditation every day?